CALL FOR CURATORIAL RESEARCH PROPOSALS
PLATFORM centre is currently accepting curatorial research proposals for a group exhibition to be presented during our 2020-21 exhibition year. This call for submissions aims to support and foster independent curatorial research and looks for proposals that activate and challenge the centre’s mandate and mission. PLATFORM is an artist-run centre dedicated to considering the expanded role of photography in contemporary art. To gain a greater understanding of the centre and its programming please review our past programming. For further information please contact the Director at director@platformgallery.
While a finalized curatorial exhibition is not required at this time, proposals should describe in detail an original concept for a group exhibition. Proposals should not include a selection of artists – they should only focus on the concept of the exhibition and its importance for the institution and the audience. The successful candidate will receive a $3,000 CAD fee as well as a travel/research stipend and administrative, installation, marketing and PR support. Proposals will be adjudicated by the strength of the exhibition concept and the curator’s ability to both communicate and realize it.
– develop a group exhibition in consultation with PLATFORM
– write a short statement for a press release
– write a curatorial text for the exhibition (1000 words maximum)
– work with the selected artists to realize their vision and coordinate with gallery staff
– title the exhibition
– design the exhibition layout
– give a curatorial tour of the final exhibition
Applicants must submit the following as a SINGLE PDF no large than 5 MB:
– a cover letter detailing their interest to the call for submissions (one page maximum)
– a exhibition or curatorial description (one page maximum)
– a CV outlining relevant and related experience (three pages maximum)
– 10-15 images of related curatorial work with detailed image list
– 2-3 samples of relevant curatorial writing
To ensure your final PDF does not exceed the file size limit, individual images should be no more than 72dpi, 1024 x 768 pixels, 500 KB. Please see the following inks for instructions on how to combine multiple files into a PDF using Windows or MAC. Submissions that do not follow the guidelines will not be included in the peer assessment selection process.
Applications are due Sunday 16 February, 2020 at 4 PM CST and must be emailed to email@example.com with the subject CALL FOR CURATORS. Mailed submissions will not be accepted. PLATFORM is an equal opportunity employer. While we thank all applicants for their interest in this call, only the individual selected will be contacted.
DEADLINES: ONGOING (June 1st / Dec. 1st)
PLATFORM welcomes proposals for new or recent work by contemporary artists, artist collectives, curators or collaborations practicing within the realm of photographic and digital art practices. To gain a greater understanding of the centre and it’s programming please review our past programming. For further information please contact the Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PLATFORM programs six in house exhibitions each year and is committed to paying CARFAC fees. Exhibitions are both programmed in-house and chosen from submissions. Eligible submissions are reviewed by the Director and a rotating advisory panel comprised of PLATFORM’s Board of Directors. The Centre’s programming is usually scheduled 2–3 years in advance. PLATFORM will not return submission packages and only successful applicants will be notified.
Submissions as a single PDF document are encouraged. PLATFORM accepts only emailed submissions. Please send submissions to email@example.com with the subject heading: PLATFORM Submission 2019.
Please follow the guidelines for submissions carefully and include all necessary items to ensure your submission will be eligible for review. Submission packages should include:
- Exhibition or project description (max one page)
- CV with contact information (max three pages)
- Artist bio and artist statement (max one page)
- Image list (titles, dimensions, dates, media)
- Curators should include proposed exhibition budget
- A maximum of 15 JPEGs at no larger than 1024 x 768, (1 MB each)
- Material must be numbered, titled and include your last name, and correspond to the image list
- If you are submitting time-based work: a maximum of 15 minutes (.mov, .mp4, .avi or link to Youtube, Vimeo, etc)
- If you are submitting a combination of images and time-based work; each minute of time-based work counts for one image
- Submissions must be Mac OS X compatible
The Members’ wall is adjacent to the main entrance of the gallery in the lobby of the Artspace Building. It is an exhibition space reserved exclusively for our members. Members may apply to show 2-dimensional artwork in any medium, as long as it can fit within a 4 by 8 foot space.
Are you a member interested in using the space? E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re not yet a member, stop by the gallery or purchase one online.