CALL FOR CURATORS
DEADLINE: Thursday, July 16, 2022 at midnight CST.
PLATFORM centre is currently accepting curatorial research proposals for a Curator in Residence. The curator will conceptualize and organize a group exhibition to be presented during our 2023-2024 exhibition year. This open call aims to support and foster independent curatorial research and seeks proposals that activate and challenge PLATFORM’s mandate and mission.
PLATFORM is an artist-run centre dedicated to considering the expanded role of photography in contemporary art. We are a multidisciplinary centre that supports and showcases local, national and international artists and are committed to supporting marginalized and BIPOC voices. To gain a greater understanding of the centre and it’s programming please review our past programming – on our website at platformgallery.org.
A finalized exhibition is not required for your application. Proposals should describe in detail an original concept for a group exhibition. Proposals should not include specific artists – the focus should be on the concept of the exhibition and it’s importance for the organization and audience.
The successful candidate will receive $3000 CAD curatorial fee, travel and research stipend and administrative, installation, marketing and PR support. Proposals will be adjudicated by the strength of the exhibition concept and the curator’s ability to both communicate and realize it. Applications will be reviewed by a jury including PLATFORM staff, board members and community members.
For any questions about submitting to this open call please contact PLATFORM staff directly.
- Develop a group exhibition in consultation with PLATFORM
- Write a exhibition statement for press release (500 words max)
- Write a curatorial text for exhibition (1000 words max)
- Work with selected artists to realize their vision and coordinate with PLATFORM staff
- Title the exhibition
- Design exhibition layout
- Give a curatorial tour of the exhibition
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS (PDF only/10 GB MAX)
- Cover letter (1 page max)
- Exhibition / curatorial description (1 page max)
- CV with relevant and related experience (3 pages max)
- 10-15 images of related curatorial work and image descriptions
- 2-3 curatorial writing samples
Applications are due 16 July, 2022 at midnight CST. Submissions as a single PDF document are encouraged. SUBMISSIONS FOR THIS CALL ARE NOW CLOSED. PLATFORM is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest in this call; however, only the successful applicant will be contacted.
DEADLINE: ONGOING (August 24, 2022)
PLATFORM welcomes proposals for new or recent work by contemporary artists, artist collectives, curators or collaborations practicing within the realm of photographic and digital art practices. Submissions should not be limited to an exhibition proposal. If you have a workshop you’d like to teach or a talk about your current research – please share this with us too. To gain a greater understanding of the centre and it’s programming please review our past programming. For further information please contact the Artistic Director at [email protected].
PLATFORM programs four in house exhibitions each year and is committed to paying CARFAC fees. Exhibitions are both programmed in-house and from submissions. Eligible submissions are reviewed by both Co-Director’s and a rotating advisory panel comprised of PLATFORM’s Board of Directors and community members. The Centre’s programming is usually scheduled 2–3 years in advance. Only successful applicants will be notified.
Submissions as a single PDF document are encouraged
Please follow the guidelines for submissions carefully and include all necessary items to ensure your submission will be eligible for review (your submission package can be 10GB MAX, limited to 10 files in total). Submission packages should include:
- Exhibition or project description (max one page)
- CV with contact information (max three pages)
- Artist bio and artist statement (max one page)
- Image list (titles, dimensions, dates, media)
- Curators should include proposed exhibition budget
- A maximum of 10 files in total (ONLY PDF + JPEGS) at no larger than 1024 x 768 (1 MB each)
- Material must be numbered, titled and include your last name, and correspond to the image list
- If you are submitting time-based work: a maximum of 15 minutes (preview links are preferred)
- If you are submitting a combination of images and time-based work; each minute of time-based work counts for one image
The Members’ wall is adjacent to the main entrance of the gallery in the lobby of the Artspace Building. It is an exhibition space reserved exclusively for our members. Members may apply to show 2-dimensional artwork in any medium, as long as it can fit within a 4 by 8 foot space.