Our call for applications to the position of Gallery Assistant is now closed. THANK YOU to everyone who applied. We were really overwhelmed with the quality and quantity of applications. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
15 hours per week, 12-5pm. Days to be determined.
Applications will be accepted until May 22, 2013.
This is a mentorship position for a visual artist or cultural worker seeking to enter a career in the Visual Arts. The candidate must have a general interest in not-for-profit organizations and artist-run centres in particular. The candidate must also possess a knowledge of issues in contemporary art, critical theory, with a special interest in photographic + digital art. Hours may include evenings and weekends depending on programming.
The responsibilities of the Gallery Assistant include:
– Assist in the communication with artists regarding programming and submissions. Assist in the coordination of exhibitions and special programming.
– Assist with the technical needs for exhibiting artists.
– Archiving active and inactive materials pertaining to programming and submissions
– Assist with new members and membership services including darkroom maintenance and the Centre’s library
– Distribute promotional materials for the Centre.
– Assist in the hospitality and other responsibilities associated with openings and events.
– Manage communications with visitors to the gallery.
– Document special events and exhibitions.
– Attend events and participate in fundraisers.
– Act as a liaison between the Centre, the media and the community.
– Assist in archiving and maintenance of the Centre’s website.
OTHER DUTIES AS NEEDED.
Skills and Requirements:
Experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, E-mail Software
Experience with Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
Demonstrated strong organizational skills are essential
Ability to work effectively as a team player as well as independently
A working knowledge of traditional darkroom practice and/or digital imaging technologies
Undergraduate or graduate degree in Visual Arts, Art History or other related field will be regarded as an asset.
$16 per hour based on a 15 hour work week
2 month probationary period
7 month contract
PLEASE mail or drop your cover letter and CV off at the gallery. For more information, please call us at 204 942 8183.